Monday, 18 May 2009

Who Says You Can't Teach An Old Dog New Tricks?

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Not me. I just learned how to take care of my car. It was a bit scary, but my instructor gave me the confidence to do the job.
First I had to change into old baggie clothes. Then learn how to get my car up in the air and take the wheels off. That took a lot of learning. Good thing I had a power tool to take the lug nuts off the tire. Did you know that some tires have locks on them so that they can't be stolen? I didn't, but my car has them.

Here's my instructor holding the tire so it doesn't fall off when I finish unscrewing the last lug nut. I'm smiling, but it's just the beginning......... What, I have to take all the tires off?
Oh no, he's left me on my own. I wonder what mischief I could get up to with my new power tool?

Finally the last tire! Whew! Am I done yet?

So this is what a break pad looks like?

Have you ever seen anything so beautiful as car breaks?
Notice my beautiful tire on the floor?
After checking all around the wheel and break structure of the car, I had to change the oil filter. It was on really tight so I had to have help getting it loose. Then I learned how to rub a bit of motor oil on top of the oil filter top so it would seal better when screwed on. Then the scariest part. I had to take the screw out to drain all of the oil. The oil was really warm and I dropped the screw. Hmmm...this is not so bad.

Look at the oil drain out of my car! It was exciting!

After the oil was drained, I put the screw back in tightly and lowered the car. Of course while the oil was draining we had to inspect the bottom of the car. It's really interesting underneath there. Then I put the tires back on. The instructor and I took one tire and he taught me how to balance it. Then I changed the air filter, checked all the levels, put oil in my car and checked for leaks, filled up the windshield wiper fluid, put new windshield wipers on and checked the lights. Good thing we did that because I had one headlight and one parking light out. So I bring my car back tomorrow with the bulbs and I'll learn how to do that.

Then I got to go home, one and one half hours later. I really had an enjoyable time and feel good about what I've learned and done. I know that has a lot to do with a good instructor. I might even try it again.

2 comments:

Our Ohana said...

Awesome! I've always wanted to learn stuff like that - good for you for taking this class! ( is it a cass?) So poud of you!
- Sara xx

Grow Family said...

Mom, you rock! I am glad you got the chance to learn how to change your own oil, etc. Now you can save yourself some money and time. I am proud of you too!